A MBBS in India or a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery are the first two professional degrees awarded in medicine and surgery in India. This format is mostly followed in those countries that have a tradition akin to the United Kingdom. The same degree when awarded by countries that follow the format of the United States is known as the Doctor or Medicine or MD.
Originally, conferring the Bachelor of Medicine was also the norm in United States and Canada. However, MD is still considered a degree of higher level, at par with a doctorate degree and mostly denotes those practitioners who undertake research and have submitted a dissertation on a specialized field of medicine. The MBBS in India degree holders are nevertheless conferred with the title of Doctor, regardless of a PhD or a Dsc. However, theoretically, the graduate who has acquired the MBBS degree cannot actually use the title Dr. before his or her name unless and until he or she had been registered as a medical practitioner by a recognized medical body.
A curious anecdote in this regard can be mentioned, and one that a layman might be unaware of. On gaining acceptance into the College of Surgeons, or after acquiring a post graduation in Surgery, the title Doctor is often dropped, and the medical practitioner reverts back to using Mister” (Mr), “Miss”, “Muz” (Ms.) or “Missus” (Mrs), because historically, a surgeon was just considered an ordinary worker who was just taking instructions from the actual doctor as far as dissecting is concerned, with no actual medical knowledge of his own.
Scope After MBBS in India
Medical colleges in India all award the title of MBBS in India to their graduate students and only they have the authority of doing so. The medical colleges in India have the license to teach both post graduate as well as paramedical courses as well. Gaining an admission to the MBBS programs initiated in government colleges is competitive to say the least because of the high subsidy and the need of extensive hands- on experience.
Any MBBS course starts with the basics like biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, microbiology, pathology and pharmacology, also known as para- clinical subjects. The trainee students can obtain training from wards and the out- patient departments where they not only study, but are actively engaged in curing and communicating with real patients, under the supervision of their seniors, for five consecutive years. The curriculum is so designed that the standard protocols of history taking, examination, differential diagnosis and complete patient Management are maintained. The student is taught about disease investigation and diagnosis, treatment options, a thorough practical knowledge and practice of performing the standard clinical procedures and above all, to try and develop a genuine compassion for patients, which of course can only come from within. What follows is a twelve month long internship where the student has to go through various specializations. Apart from the actual process of healing and curing, the undergraduate is also trained in ward management, staff management, and thorough counseling skills, something that would be frequently required in this field.
Check Your Eligibility to MBBS in India
To enroll for an MBBS in India program, the aspiring student has to have a 50% marks in physics, chemistry, biology and English in the ’10+2′ examinations, while those from the reserved category would need 40%. Admission to this program is not however, centralized and each medical college has its own requirements. Mostly, students with a high academic score and the results obtained medical entrance examinations determine the criteria for enrollment. With a proposed 5800 seats added to studying MBBS in India by establishing colleges in 58 districts in India, the future for doctors in this country looks bright.
Entrance examinations are conducted by :
- NEET- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (For any private as well as public university in India)
Get Guaranteed Admission For MBBS in India top University any where in Maharashtra, Karnataka, UP, MP, Delhi NCR
MBBS Colleges of Maharashtra Deemed University
- Mahatama Gandhi Mission Medical College, Navi Mumbai / Aurangabad
- Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Karad
- Bharti Vidyapeeth Deemed University Medical College, Pune/Sangli
- Dr. DY Patil Deemed University Medical College & Research Centre, Pune
- Dr. DY Patil Deemed University Medical College, Kolhapur
- Dr. DY Patil Deemed University Medical, Navi Mumbai
- Datta Meghe Institue of Medical Sciences, Wardha
- Paravara institute of medical sciences, Loni
MBBS/BDS Colleges of Karnataka
- JSS Medical College, Mysore
- Blde University Shri BM Patil Medical College, Bijapur
- KLE’S Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College and Hospital, Belgaum
- Sri Devraj University Medical College and Hospital, Kolar
- Shri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur
- Sapthagiri Medical College, Bengaluru
- Srinivasa Medical college, Bangalore
MBBS Colleges of Delhi NCR
- Sharda, UP
- Rama Medical College, Hapur
- Saraswati Medical College, Hapur
- Teer Thanker Medical College, Muradabad
- Gold Fleet Medical College, Faridabad
- S G T Medical college, Gurgoan
- Subharti Medical college, Meerut
- Heritage medical college, varanasi
- Hind medical college, Lucknow
- Rohilkhand medical college, Bareilly